By Gasper Crasto "T-Bush film made me a superstar" ---Sylvester Vaz photographed at the BLACK premiere

Sylvester Vaz, the 'Hitman of Konkani Stage' as he is popularly known among Konkani Tiatr lovers, is undoubtedly one of the stars of ‘BLACK Nhesop Atanchem Fashion’ – the first Konkani E-Cinema released in Kuwait earlier this year at the hands of Indian Ambassador Mr. Madusudan Ganapati. The film produced by T-Bush - award winning director of English short film ‘The Letter’ is set for re-screening now with English subtitles on 30th November 2007 3.00 pm at Al Masrah, Hawalli Auditorium.

Sylvester has directed many plays and musical shows in the State of Goa. He has acted in numerous Tiatr & Khell-Tiatr , short plays and Telefilms. Also acted in English plays in Goa & Mumbai. Gifted with an incredible tone, Sylvester has rendered his voice in many audio and CD albums. His last audio was 'Tujem Upkari Hanv’ (Grateful to you), a variety of songs with Goa's nightingale Lorna.

Besides acting in Goa, Mumbai, Mangalore, Bangalore, Ratnagiri, Malwan, Udupi, Karwar, Ahmedabad, Delhi, etc, he has an international exposure which goes to prove his star status. He has traveled to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Qatar, Bahrain and now ofcourse based in Kuwait.

The multitalented star has a distinct record of singing the opening chorus in almost every drama he features while winning awards has become a habit with him. He has bagged 5 times Best Actor and 6 times Best Singer Award at the Tiatr competitions organized by Kala Academy, Goa.

Happily married to well-known stage artiste Irene Cardozo and has a 9 year old son named Jeremiah.

The screen presence of this star in the movie is stunning and beyond expectations. Let's find out Sylvester’s own observations after the release of 'BLACK’ in an interview with Gasper Crasto.

Sylvester in a scene from BLACK -- "...BLACK is a leap forward in Konkani Cinema.."

Q. What was your reaction on the historic launch of BLACK?
Sylvester: It was a glamorous function. Indeed a historical event. The premiere of the first ever Konkani E-Cinema in Kuwait will remain written in golden letters. It is a proud moment for all Indians and expatriates in Kuwait. BLACK is perhaps the only movie to be produced by an expatriate and released in Kuwait. It is a leap forward in the era of Konkani Cinema as well. The techniques and innovative ideas used by T-Bush are worth miles and are highly noticeable. By and large, BLACK has turned out to be a very unique film.

Q. How did you feel watching yourself on the giant screen?
Sylvester: It was a great feeling! I consider myself proud being part of this film. On the day of the premiere, the wonderful remark by the chief guest His Excellency The Ambassador of Kuwait Mr. Madusudan Ganapati commented on my hosting the function saying that ‘Sylvester Vaz, you are not an inch less than Hollywood actor Sylvester Stallone’ made me a celebrity superstar even before the release of the movie.

Q. What are your comments about your role in BLACK?
Sylvester: T-Bush has taken lot of hard pains to make us shine like stars on the big screen. I am thankful to him. Some of the scenes and my screen presence is unbelievable. Overall, the film can be termed as a technically brilliant film. I did not imagine the flow of the film to be so attractive. Kudos to T-Bush. My family, friends and my fans were more thrilled than me to see me in a glamour role. It’s a fluent role. Nothing extra-ordinary! But how T-Bush blended it with style is indeed to be applauded. Though a simple role, people commended that I did it with a quality essence and style. I am happy and pleased the way I am portrayed on screen. It’s totally different from what we act on stage. I received tremendous accolades from people who saw the film. It will remain a memorable experience!

Q. Do you usually choose your roles?
Sylvester: I do not demand or choose any roles. I love to do any types of roles. I give my 100% to whatever role assigned. Once I am involved in the role whether small or big, I go all out to envisage and fit in the character that I represent. Once I accept a role for any production, I treat it is my own production. Most of the directors keep me in mind while writing a specific character for the script and they value my suggestions and ideas. So also, I am given much freedom to bequeath the character or dialogues according to my satisfaction. Even for one small role of one entry I would put in my best efforts to make the role memorable and gain admiration from the audience.

Q. What is your general commitment to the art?
Sylvester:
I am always committed to my acting as an artiste. As a performer, I have to leave my family and forfeit lot of occasions behind, and also skip work for my obligations. The reason, I believe acting is an in-born talent given by God not for self benefit but to explore it for others. Not everyone is gifted. I love the acting/singing gift which God has bestowed upon me, and I want to share or proclaim it and honestly give back to God what God has given me. But my heart pains when I see and hear that sometimes this unique talent is exploited for self glory and utilized to put a rift between artistes, promoters and well-wishers.

Q. What kind of characters do you want to act in future?
Sylvester:
Till date I have enacted numerous characters, but given a chance I would love to play my favorite legendary Amitabh Bachchan’s character.

Q. Sylvester is not seen much after BLACK. Why?
Sylvester:
Just wanted to take a break to devote time for God and spend more quality time with my loved ones. But I'll be back with a bang soon - in something different, something special.

Q. What are your views on Indian film production abroad?
Sylvester:
It’s nice to know that many Indian film productions are coming up abroad. And certainly T-Bush has shown the way by producing this E-Cinema - the first Indian film to be made and produced in Kuwait. I have also acted for a Mangalore based Konkani Production, the shoot done in Kuwait. I am sure in the days to come, and with able assistance from our highly admired and futuristic Indian Ambassador to Kuwait Mr. Madusudan Ganapati, there should be many producers raring to produce something rare and very creative.

Q. Tell us about your favorite artistes and films.
Sylvester:
Oh! You can ask my son Jeremiah this question. He will answer this very quickly. My favorite Hollywood artiste is Deborah Smith Ford/Antonio Banderas, favorite Bollywood artistes are Amitabh Bachchan and Rani Mukherji, and on stage, my favorite stars are legendary Padmashree M.Boyer and my wife Irene Cardozo-e-Vaz. Among the writers, I have high regard for Late Rosario Rodrigues, and in direction, my favorites are Siddharth Harldankar (Kala Academy) and Kuwait based director Jose Rod (for Commercial Shows). Films : I love to watch thrillers & action packed English films and never fail to watch Hindi Movies starring Amithab Bachchan. I also enjoy Tom & Jerry cartoons show.

Q. What do you aspire to do in the near future?
Sylvester:
To have my own production, to stage my own drama, preferably a religious one; a video album of songs, and a feature film in my mother tongue Konkani. My desire is to get recognition for the Konkani language on the world map of cinema and art. I must mention here that the screening of BLACK with English subtitles will go a long way in reaching foreign audiences which should enable identification of Konkani as a rich language.

:::The above article appeared in Kuwait's Arab Times dated 26.11.2007:::

Newer Post Older Post Home