“Larger than life characters not part of my script.” –Kiran Kumar

By Gasper Crasto

Actor Kiran Kumar will certainly leave an impact on the Kuwait audience with his portrayal of an expatriate Indian in the movie Kahin Na Kahin Milenge set for release in Kuwait on 12th June at Cinema Laila Tower, Salmiya at 6.30pm.

The film produced by T-Bush, co-produced by Wency John Ferrao, and directed by T-Bush and Arif Kazi is the first Hindi Bollywood Film to be made in Kuwait.

His Excellency Mr. Ajai Malhotra, Indian ambassador to Kuwait will be the chief guest at the premiere. The star cast of the film Kiran Kumar, Shakti Kapoor, Kishore Bhanushali, Manisha Ram Kelkar, Amit Bhanushali, etc, are expected to attend.

Kiran Kumar features in one of the key roles of the film. While speaking about his experiences on shooting in Kuwait he said, "I enjoyed shooting in Kuwait for ‘Kahin Na Kahin Milenge'. I was impressed when I was told about the script and the role of Rajveer Malhotra which I have portrayed. It's a story about a person who is settled here in Kuwait, his social achievements and the story revolves around the relationship between the father and the daughter."

Kiran further added, "I was here in Kuwait for 15 days and I was very much impressed with the people here and the entire unit of the film for their cooperation. During my stay I thoroughly enjoyed working with T-Bush International Films.” Kiran expressing his confidence over the success of this movie saying, "Working with T-Bush was a good experience and I foresee a bright future for him. This is a very first Hindi feature film made in Kuwait and no doubt till now it has been handled brilliantly and I hope this movie will be successful at the Box Office too."

Kiran Kumar has performed in more than 450 Hindi films and a total of 5500 episodes on television. Reminiscing his journey from an actor followed by Director turned Producer, he says "I thoroughly enjoyed being an actor and I still love to be an actor though I am not a full fledged director yet. I will continue to act until my roles are successful before deciding to take up direction."

Kiran Kumar entered the movie scene with his debut movie, "Do Boond Pani". A string of movies followed after this, but did not prove to be much successful. Kiran took a break from movies and concentrated on Gujurati plays. “But once you have a taste of the movies, no other medium of acting appeals to you more,” says the veteran actor reminiscing his career.

Son of veteran character actor Jeevan, Kiran Kumar is a Kashmiri by birth and claims his lineage to the Kashmiri royal family. He began his career as the hero in ‘Do Boond Pani’ in 1971, and went on to play villain in several films. His role of the loathsome Lothia Pathan in the Anil Kumar starrer hit film ‘Tezaab’ made people sit up and take notice.

Kiran Kumar is one of the highest paid actors on television. His foray into the small screen was with a Cinevista production. "In Cinevista's ‘Zindagi’ I played Benjamin Gilani's father. When Cinevista approached me again ten years later, for Ghutan, I took it on as I wanted to get back to television."

Sunil Mehta's Prem Kishan was his first serial. Then came Zindagi, Ghutan, Sahil, Manzil, and Katha Sagar. Aur Phir ek Din and Papa for B4U have been the latest. Kiran was awarded the Mayor's Award for Ghutan and for Aur Phir ek Din.

Talking about his roles in movies, Kiran has always fancied playing ‘shades of humanity and not larger than life characters.”

Apart from Kahin Na Kahin Milenge, Kiran’s forthcoming films in 2009 are Pratigya, Do Chehre, Modh, Nidar - The Fearless, Hi Mummy Hi Daddy, Gahraee, Aisi Deewangi, Pyaar Ke Rang Hazaar, etc.

With over 30 years in the industry behind him, he is one of those rare types who are content with what he has and is still getting from the entertainment world and life in general. With two teenaged children and a doting wife who has stood by him through thick and thin, Kiran is the ultimate family man.

“The audience got to watch me in Kahin Na Kahin Milenge,” concludes the dynamic actor.

:::As published in Arab Times dated 28th May 2009:::

Newer Post Older Post Home