Goan singer KC set to make waves in music world
By Gasper Crasto

Who is the most gifted singer that you know of?

You can find out in this brief tête-à-tête with a talented songwriter, recording artist and composer – known to his friends simply as KC.

Bertrand D’Souza is born and bred in Kuwait, a place he says, “I will always call home because it has given me and my family much, for which I am very thankful. Hence, the 'KC' in my artist name, Kuwait City -- a way of symbolizing what made me who I am today.

“Tell me about your parents...” I said.

“My parents (Benjamin & Maria), hailing from Calangute, Goa, came to Kuwait in the early 80s and have been working here since. This was an outlet for my parents, having had a tough childhood. Both losing their father at a very young age with 6 other siblings to raise. This made me realize the importance of the opportunity I was given and has been the main motive behind my dedication to the music.

We were in India a short period during the Gulf War at which point I was only 3 months old. We made it back to Kuwait after the war was settled (1991).”
Bertrand studied at Carmel School, Kuwait from Kindergarten up until 12th grade. Since early kindergarten, Bertrand had the desire to showcase his God given musical talent.

“I am proud to be a Carmelite, I have plans to give back to the school through my music.” says Bertrand.

In 2008, Bertrand moved to Buffalo, New York for further studies and graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from the State University at Buffalo in 2012.

“This has broadened my thinking and perception in various aspects of life,” says Bertrand about his graduation, “which has helped me to further develop my music through unique ideas based on my diverse experience.”

Together with his close friend from Carmel, Jonathan Fernandes (graduated from Bombay and also passionately involved in music and singing), the two have created music even though they have been based in different continents. They do not see this as a barrier to their growth in the field.

After graduation Bertrand moved to New York City where he gave music auditions for various record labels such as Def Jam records, Warner Brothers, etc. through the UROCK Tour.

The young lad, currently in Kuwait, is looking into MBA program options in Canada for the fall 2013 semester while creating music on the side.

“I have a bunch of ideas I wish to implement into my music, which unfortunately, I am unable to disclose at this point. The motive is to reach out to a maximum number of people, who are able to relate to the stories being told within the music. Music for the people. By the people.”, reveals Bertrand.

On his general outlook about his passion for music and lyrics, Bertrand discloses, “As I see life today, music seems to be the only thing connecting us together. There is much that can be done through music, perhaps even change the way we think, act and feel. It is imperious that we send out the right message because change within the people is necessary, yet, it is voluntary. With everything that is happening all around us, we have so much to be thankful for… most importantly, the opportunity.”

Check out the starting prayer in Bertrand’s track 'Amen'. It is simply amazing. The ‘Diamonds’ cover is another awesome, unbelievable track while ‘Adrenaline’ remains the most popular track till date.

Bertrand, surely has the vocal chops to make it in the big leagues. The young lad has a unique style that has drawn the attention of many, especially his friends, and friends of his friends.

The sky is too close to be the limit for such a great talent. Watch-out for this young Goan lad, he’s gonna blow your mind. Bertrand’s lyrics and vocal chords will certainly go the distance for many years to come...


Rest of his work may be found at the following websites:




:::The above article appeared in Kuwait's Arab Times dated 3rd July 2013:::

Newer Post Older Post Home