Black star Comedian Philip spills the beans


By Gasper Crasto, Kuwait

Kuwait, Aug 1:
It's not easy to interview comedians. There's the old legend that they're all tragic figures, miserable clowns crying behind their beaming faces.

So it was rather disconcerting to feel comfortable in the presence of Philip Pereira, one of the main stars of 'BLACK Nhesop Atanchem Fashion' -- the first Konkani E-Cinema to be made in Kuwait and scheduled for a Premier on August 10, 2007 at Masrah, Hawalli Auditorium. But Philip is a thoroughly amiable, witty man -- no airs, no hang-ups - a born comedian to the core. He is not loath to reveal his opinions on subjects ranging from his childhood to his comic motivations.

In the late 1980s, Konkani stage was undergoing a crunch of comedians. Legendary actors comedians Jacinto Vaz, M. Boyer, Comedian Dias, Paul Romy, etc, were no longer considered `foremost' comedians because of the age factor. The presence of Philip Pereira was registered as a whiff of fresh air. Though Philip acted for amateur directors initially, he immediately established himself as a comedian who ushered in an era of neat and clean comedy that didn't require obnoxious dialogues. Or much melodrama, either.

Importance of Comedy

Today, comedy has become a must in every drama and films. Dramas or home videos with maximum comedy becomes an instant hit and popular among fans. Most directors are reliable on comedians for the success of their dramas with some shows running only on comedy. This has been the fact in the last few decades. Many of today's comedians carry this legacy and to gain popularity and register themselves as comedians, many have resorted to lewd actions, offensive gesticulations and below-the-belt dialogues. Philip has consciously kept himself away from that category as best as he can. He refuses to fall into the trap of relying on smut for laughs – he always looks to raise a laugh with his own communicative style.

"One of the difficult of acts, comedy is half intelligence, half execution. It is not necessary to make faces to look comic, neither one needs to deliver below the belt dialogues to tickle that funny bone. I have always put emphasis on my costumes, character, dialogues and singing," says Philip, "No falling over bananas, no lewd dialogues and not many jokes on women."

Son of late Marcos Pereira and Rosalin Pereira Ratos, Philip is 'specific' about being born at the Hospicio, Margao, baptized as Felipe and hailing from Majorda, Goa.

The actor admits that it is not easy to make a place for oneself among a host of other comedians ready to do anything in the name of comedy. But, "I don't sacrifice my character by going overboard, that way I am me, as you see me on stage. Na zalear, comedy-chea nanvan mhaka lok ani kitem-i somzot!" Philip, however, refuses to be categorized as an 'ordinary comedian' and does not believe in holding self glorifying titles and sobriquets.

"My deep love for Konkani stage right from my childhood years has obligated me to remain devoted to the undeniable fact that the Konkani stage, over the years, served as a catalyst to flourish our beloved mother tongue 'Konkani', irrespective of caste and creed. And, this phenomenon is precisely what magnetizes me more and more..."

Inspiration and Encouragement

About people encouraging him on his way, Philip singles out his 'home-town brother' and famous actor Pegado, and his school teacher Bismarck Alcansio for their inspiration and guidance. Philip has been into acting right from his school days. At a young age, he acted in his village dramas and 'zomnivele khell' in different characters including female roles in 'street plays' of Epa de Paroda (Pascoal from Utorda). Philip was introduced by comedian Peter D'Costa to the professional stage in 1976 for his first 'qualified' appearance as a comedian in A.M. Pacheco's Odruxtt and Mr. Romeo. The undemanding comedian dotingly recalls that his "share" (earnings) for that show was Rs. 10/- per stage.

Philip says, "Perhaps I have not made riches acting in dramas but the satisfaction I get to see I am appreciated for my comedy is enough to keep me going. I was highly applauded for my different faces in a comedy song imitating William de Curtorim, Lorna, Alfred Rose, Marcelin de Betim, Domnic Vaz, Bab Peter, etc. My last musical show 'Tum Vhoir aum Sokol' was highly acclaimed all across. One of the biggest appreciations I remember is from one of my teachers, Mrs. Viena D'Souza who taught us French at St. Anthony's School, Majorda. She always complained about my funny ways during the class. I could never prove her to be brilliant with my studies. Many years down the line, I had forgotten about her. It was when I went to Dubai with my Musical show 'Hem Kazar Koslem' in the year 2001, that my beloved teacher saw me on stage and was proud of my performance. Later she came to see me with her husband Mr. Noel D'Souza, a prominent High School administrator in Dubai, hugged me, praised me and took me out for lunch."

Philip has acted in numerous dramas spanning 31 years on stage and over the years he has mastered the art of comedy. His charm and impeccable 'stage presence' captivates audiences. He came into limelight in Roseferns super-hit 'Thapott' and later went on to act in his mega hits such as 'Arso', 'Baulem', 'Uzo', 'Maim, Pai Ani Bhurgim', etc. He also acted in 'Durig' of Wilmix, 'Kumar' of Rosario Rodrigues, A.M. Pacheco 'Don Rostea', 'Visvasghat', 'Fator, John Claro's 'Englez Madam', 'Chuklele Roste' of John D'Silva, 'Duddu ani Ginean' of Menino de Bandar, 'Tin Khille' of Pascoal Rodrigues, 'Ostori' and 'Tin Fogotteanche Marann' of Patrick Dourado, 'Bhiradd' directed by Jose Rod and Anthony San, Jose Rod's Mauli, Punn Kiteak, Konnachem Aikom, Satvo Mandament, etc.

Once, I acted as a replacement for Hortencio in John Claro's 'Englez Madam' drama with no prior notification or rehearsals and we did 3 straight shows in a day," Phillip asserts with pride.

"Money was not everything for actors of yesteryears. Almost every actor, other than the 'highly' professionals, looked for an opportunity to act. That passion, unlike most of today's actors, has not left me," says Philip, "I don't know what burns me within, but given the opportunity I will accept to act in any show – and make people laugh."

He also acted for reputed directors such as Chris-Meena Productions, Churchill Alemao's 'Bhatt ani Vatt', Pinto Tailor's 'Maim Pai Guneaukari', Laurente Pereira, Mario De Majorda, Rosary Ferns, etc, and in late Bab Peter's drama that toured all over Gulf. In July 2007 (last month), Philip travelled to England to act in a Konkani show of Tommy Alphonso.

Tiatr concerns

Adding to Philip's career will be the first Konkani E-Cinema 'BLACK' by T-Bush - International Award winning director of the English short film 'The Letter'. Being one of the lead artistes, Philip is also the main background singer. He has been much-admired for singing right from the days when Goa's comedy prince Jacob acted alongside him. Backing his proficiency, Phillip has a audio album titled, 'Sir' to his credit.

In Black, Philip shares screen space with stalwart Cajetan de Sanvordem, emerging comedian Salu Faleiro, Braz de Parra, Babit, Abby, the ever-lewd Querobina Carvalho and a sensitive, sensible Gracy Morais. He plays 'Bostiao' - the musician who is a 'competitor of competitors' as Philip puts it, slipping into a smile.

There is no shame in any work says Philip. "I have come up a hard way. I have worked as a baker selling bread door to door, as a salesman, a driver cum actor for Roseferns dramatic troupe, a house driver, etc. By God's grace I am placed well for the last 13 years after I was offered a job by Dr. Claus Smith in 1994 as a Representative for Kuwait Medical Dental Clinic.

Philip was married to Maria in 1985 and has two children – Sherylyn and Janito. His first visit to Kuwait was as an actor with Roseferns dramatic troupe in 1986. Soon after that, he landed in Kuwait when his mother brought him in as a House driver to work for Madam Sherifa Anjeri at Keifan. He worked till 1989 before abandoning his job abruptly. Philip narrates a funny episode of leaving his job. "When I found I had limited freedom from work to act in dramas, I asked my friends in Bombay to send a telegram saying my immediate relative was burnt dead. That was the only escape!" He produced the telegram to his sponsors soon after acting in Rosary Ferns drama 'Hem Mhojem Dusrem Ghor' staged at Funaitees, Kuwait and quit Kuwait.

Back in Goa, that time, he continued acting in tiatros and worked for British Aerospace at the Indian Navy from 1989 to 1991 and again he found himself back in Kuwait.

No to nasty jokes

Being a regular performer on stage in Kuwait for the last several years, Philip is used to warm welcomes. "I feel proud to say I've never got a bad reception anywhere. Perhaps it is my simple comedy. Some guys go on stage and talk about sex which is fine if you like that sort of thing. I talk about life, because life is inherently funny, I just get ideas about stuff and work them into jokes to add spice to the dialogues given by my director. It doesn't matter where you tell it, a funny joke will get laughs anywhere."

Philip's impersonation of the great 'Lorna' as in Lorna's song 'Aikat mhojo Tavo', and 'Micheal Jackson's' 'Beat it' as well as late Dr. Rosario Rodrigues (with the get-up and his voice matching the characters to perfection) were greatly appreciated at 'Goa Day' events in Kuwait and he
continues to participate in every such event, where hundreds of Goans and their guests attend. Admits Philip, "I have been a comedian because I myself love fun and jokes. Moreover, I like to make others laugh…"

"Acting in 'Black' is a challenge in my life to prove my abilities to my antagonists. T-Bush initially wanted me for his other mega venture 'All the Best' in which I had the main role. Regrettably, 'All the Best' was derailed by T-Bush because of some 'anti-human' conspiracy. Even if T-Bush decides to reel this film again, I will take a complete break from work to make myself available. Although I had heard of T-Bush, I've known him only in Kuwait but his father known to everyone as 'Hero Camil' is a family friend of mine. T-Bush is as meticulous and stubborn with his principles as his films. I have always supported the director in whatever way I can -- even in decorating the sets. Well, a number of people have supported us, among whom Dr. Zuhair Al Nasser has been really wonderful.

Subtly making one realize that he wouldn't like to be complimented for his humble ways, he speaks out, "I have seen life to the fullest – I have lived with beggars and with ministers too.. There is no place for pride in me.."

"The film script is adequately plotted by T-Bush. In an era of stereotyped film stories, BLACK has a storyline based on some of the fading traditions and culture of our times nicely dialogued with a natural dialect," says Philip adding that he would like to categorize the film as a spectacle of hilarious comedy, wit and emotion weaved together in a simplistic morality. The movie keeps your curiosity alive by `hachea mukhar kitem, what's gonna happen next' type of questions." he states adding, "The story rolls in continuous sequences expressively balanced by T-Bush."

About BLACK

"T-Bush has left no stone unturned to get it shot perfect," says Philip, "One thing I will never forget about the shoot is the thrashing I got during one of my acts. I was always under the impression that fights and fisticuffs shown in films were 'fakes'. Perhaps they are. But in one such scene in BLACK where I was supposed to be given a light knock about, I ended up being actually beaten. Another scene, I will not forget is the scene that we shot at Green Island late midnight in December. It was a chill out there in temperatures as low as 2° C or may be sub-zero, the waterfall was almost freezing and icy. It still gives me the shivers..!"

"In BLACK, you don't have to act funny as the situations themselves are funny," says Philip, "The film portrays Goan culture and retains an ethos of its own. It was easy for me to execute my role being in acting for such a long time, but it still beats me how T-Bush would show the scenes of a Goan backdrop much needed in this film, because we all know that the movie is shot in Kuwait..."

For now Philip is waiting the release of 'BLACK' which he expects would give the audiences a peep into 'what Philip is' than has been revealed yet.

FACT FILE: PHILIP PEREIRA

Birth Date: 29th December

Place of birth: Majorda - Goa

Debut Acting: A.M. Pacheco's Odruxtt ani Mr. Romeo.

Most Memorable Role: In Jose Rod's 'Mauli'

Favorite movie: City Lights of Charlie Chaplin

Best Singer: Alfred Rose

Favorite actress: Kajol

Favorite Actor: Johny Lever

Favorite hobby: Dancing, watching dramas and Hindi movies

Favorite Goan Politician: Churchill Alemao

Activities involved in Kuwait: Member of Kuwait-Goa Tiatristanchi Sonstha, and Goan Welfare Society (GWS)

Newer Post Older Post Home