Crowning of 'Comedy Queen Querobina'

By Gasper Crasto for team Mangalorean - Kuwait

Kuwait July 21: Experiencing a life marked by upheavals and cheer, the on-fire actress based in Kuwait -- Querobina Carvalho – Quero to friends, has transcended Goa 's stereotype stage style to become one of the finest actresses of this generation against all odds. She is undoubtedly a superstar and on a pedestal equal to legendary celebrities of the stage. Querobina is perhaps the only actress who can do comedy as well as tragedy roles and at the highest standard at that, and sing with a voice that can melt stone hearts.

Popularly known as 'Comedy Queen Querobina', she has the distinction of winning 3 straight Kala Academy awards as the Best Singer of Goa from 1973 to 1975. Acclaimed as one of Goa's popular comedienne and a tragedy actress too, Querobina has tirelessly served Konkani stage even after coming to work in Kuwait. The multitalented star features in the first Konkani E-Cinema 'BLACK Nhesop Atanchem Fashion' shot entirely in Kuwait. The film produced by renowned director T-Bush is scheduled for a premier screening in Kuwait on Aug 10, 2007 at Masrah, Hawalli Auditorium , Kuwait .

Querobina's first step on the stage was at the age of 9 years where she sang her first solo in St. Aloysius High School. She recalls singing the song based on history of the school composed by her uncle Agnelo Carvalho.

Later in 1975 she sang a duet called 'Moddko' with her uncle in the latter's drama 'Suth'. The two found themselves much in demand after that for every tiatr held that time at 'Ganvchea Festank' in the neighboring villages. Querobina's rise to fame began with her 'first break' on the professional stage in A.M. Pacheco's drama 'Mr. Romeo' and 'Odruxtt' in 1977.

Crowning of 'Comedy Queen Querobina'

Querobina labored long in the field of different roles especially as a replacement for Patrick Dourado's 'Soth' and the second ever ladies show on Konkani stage 'Oxem Ghoddtta' before her acting in Goa's mega hit dramas showed the extent of her power. She soon went on to act in Pacheco's 'Don Roste', 'Vis Vorsam Adim' and Nelson (Nelson-Conception-Anthony) Alphonso's 'Asro.' In 1978 she totally joined Patrick Dourado's troupe that brought her recognition as a professional artiste and also the title 'Comedy Queen Querobina' for his drama 'Ostori'.

"That was the first time I had done a comedy role," commented Querobina remembering her felicitation as 'Comedy Queen Querobina' at Bombay 's famous Birla Hall. The greatness of her acting came forth again in performances of Patrick's tragedy hit 'Lok Sangtolo', and M. Boyer's 'Mog Kazar Divorce'. Soon she was pulled in Bombay by late Bab Peter to act in an all Bombay professional group to act in 'Guneaum Mhozo Nhuim'.

What followed after that has been a part of her best career achievements. "I climbed more steps of my acting career in Jose Rod's 'Nissonn' and the audience cried with me in Mario de Vasco's 'Dhump' in which I acted a poor bride and sang a melancholy song in fully dressed bridal attire. This particular song was composed by Sylvester Vaz (now based in Kuwait) and he was also my hero in the drama. Later, I performed mostly comedy roles in Prince Jacob's productions," disclosed the star.

Since then, die-hard tiatro fans have followed her career closely, watching her metamorphose into one of the State's most recognized faces on stage. Her numerous other acting credits include Patrick Dourado's superhits such as Oxem Ghoddtta, Ghatki Bhoinn, Bhavacho Cheddo, Familik Vollkona, Lok Sangtolo, Tem Mhojem Soirem, Dev Borem Korum, Tin Fogotteache Marann, Varem, Noketr, Patok, etc; C.D. Silva and Patrick Dourado's joint venture 'Mannkam Motiam, Mog, etc.

Most Memorable Role

"My role of a mother in Patrick's drama 'Dev Borem Korum' remains one of my most memorable," said Querobina adding, "I got a tremendous response from the audience in this particular drama." She further acknowledged that it was Patrick Dourado who had encouraged her to do comedy, "I was an instant hit right from the first show of 'Ostori' – my first drama in a comedy role."

Querobina featured in approximately 27 different dramas of Patrick Dourado before she quit the director for better offers. In-between she also acted in shows of Conny M. D'Silva, Vitorin Pereira, Master Vaz, legendary Shri Rosario Rodrigues, Menino de Bandar, etc.

Prominent hits that she acted are Bab Peter's 'Mijas', 'Guneanv Mhozo Nhoim', 'Tuka Kiteak Poddlam'; Robin Vaz's 'Biatin', 'Chamcha'; C. Alvares' 'Xezari Kombo' ; Jacinto Vaz's drama 'Sukh ani Dukh'; Wilmix's 'Sonvsar ani Sorg'; Roseferns' 'Tuttlele Dhaage'; and Prince Jacob's superhits 'Pavnnek', 'Ponvot', 'Pordexi', 'Poltodd', 'Pangddo', 'Pergao', 'Poixe-Poixe', etc.

Querobina has also sung and rendered her voice in approximately 56 folk plays on All India Radio – Goa which were a major source of entertainment for public before the advent of television in Goa in the wake of the 1982 Asiad.
As a comedian Querobina has acted alongside famous artistes of Konkani stage that include Comedian Dias, Comedienne Platilda, Comedian Philip, Comedian Domnic, Augustine, Sherly, Sally, Comedian Jesus, Luis Bachchan, Nelson, Ben Evangelisto, Ambe, X. Almeida, M. Boyer, Jacinto Vaz, Titta Pritto, Tony Martins, Paul Romy, Hortencio, late Luis Dias, etc. She was a darling of the crowd in Prince Jacob's shows alongside Jacob and Humbert which people still want to see. "My first co-artiste in a comedy role was Comedian Dias," she said emphasizing, "Humbert is the best comedian I have acted and clicked with.."

Professional Treasure

Born to Andrew Carvalho and Arcangela Fernandes and coming from the beautiful coastal village Majorda, Querobina grew up with her younger brother Anthony – who died in a heart-attack. What Quero feels about her brother's death and her closeness to his children is, of course, entirely personal.

To the curiosity as to how she still remembered so many minutiae of the past, Querobina produced a pristine diary from her purse describing it as her 'professional treasure' and a pride of possession since 1977 containing details of every drama that she acted – the name and place of the show and the 'share' she received for that particular show.

It was in celebrated director M.Boyer's drama 'Mog Kazar Divorce' that she first toured the Middle East and made the trip again for another 5 times in Prince Jacob's shows. Recalling her overseas tours Querobina underlines, "In 1989, I performed in London for Prince Jacob's 'Painem' and 'Pergao'; my first trip to Kuwait was in Mario de Majorda when the director specially brought me from Goa to act in his drama 'Sambau' staged on 9th September 1994 at Keifan Hall."

The much in demand actress also toured Dubai and Bahrain for Jose Rod's Mauli and for Comedian Philip's drama 'Hem Kazar Koslem', and also traveled to Qatar , Bahrain from Kuwait to act in dramas on 3 different occasions.

Querobina has an audio album dedicated to her role model -- legendary tragedy Queen Ophelia who has been known to her since a number of years. "Earlier, I used to do songs written by others, but my stay in Kuwait has unveiled yet another of my hidden talents...I compose my own songs now… I have sung on approximately 39 audios and I feature in 8 home videos."

A blazing role in BLACK

On the intricacy in adjusting to comedy and tragedy and her role in the film BLACK, Querobina answered, "Comedy is not the most difficult art as most think, but yes, it requires a slightly better sense of timing. Performing a comedy scene is like narrating a joke. The joke may be wonderful but if it is not narrated with the right flair, the right expressions, the right timing, it will fall flat. Some kind of inherent flair and liking for comedy, the sensitivity to imbibe the funnier and the more humorous influences from the atmosphere, a good sense of humor, the ability and the habit of playing with words and phrases is most essential in comedy. My fans will speak about my fluency in both versions. From whatever little I have known about acting, there cannot be a fixed formula for tragedy roles. Nobody can justify a particular method. For me, acting in tragedy roles is the assembly of various sources - the feed I get from my co-actors, the script and the instructions of my director, etc. Acting in any role for that matter does not involve any hard and fast rule. The only way you can possibly improve on your acting is by rehearsing with your co-artistes -- a lot more than you do alone. In BLACK, my co-artiste is Comedian Philip and Cajetan de Sanvordem."

Talking about T-Bush, the director of BLACK, Querobina stated, "Someone watching the shoot would know that T-Bush was always beleaguered inside but he just remained a 'clever' professional with his direction. That's my perception of what I saw. He is just an international phenomenon, to me, as to what he really does – like those big directors in Hindi films that we have heard. One fine day, he will surely win a big 'tag' as one of the 'leading lights' of Indian Cinema. The biggest things I want for BLACK is to perform well at what they call -- the 'box office'. If it performs well that's just some more steps forward for T-Bush and the E-Cinema concept to venture into new ones."

Destination Kuwait

"I came to Kuwait not with a lust for money but to keep my mind and eyes away from personal disturbances. God has given me tremendous grace and good friends to overcome the tribulations that I had to face in life," says Querobina adding, "my happiness over the years has been my profession and that is the ultimate strength that keeps me alive and going.."

Querobina's 'residency' in Kuwait has been hailed in the media by many Goans as a gift to Kuwait Konkani lovers but the void created by her absence in Goa is missed by thousands. Since her arrival in Kuwait in 1995 she has acted in various dramas. Some of the prominent directors are Rosary Ferns, Comedian Philip, Mario de Majorda, Jose Rod, etc. Most recently, she has acted for the shows of Salu Faleiro, Simon Gonsalves, Francis de Tuem, etc. Indisputably, a multifaceted actress like Querobina would have been hailed as a superstar had she been acting in any other language. But few awards have come on the way of this great artiste apart from felicitations by Konkani Heritage Kuwait in 2000; felicitations by director Mario de Majorda, felicitations by United Club of Utorda in 2007 and in Bahrain at the staging of Anthony Luis Fernandes' show.

"The audience has accepted and appreciated me in comedy roles. But my greatest wish is to do one 'excellent' tragedy role," divulged Querobina. Incidentally, after a gap of 12 years, the most wanted actress is set to appear on the Goan stage later in August this year in Laurent Pereira's drama 'Hea Gharachim Dharam Bond'.

Expectations of BLACK

When asked about the shooting of BLACK, the ever cheerful and highly amusing Querobina said giggling, "I always wanted a scene where I would ride a beautiful white horse, with pink rosebuds falling down from the sky and angels flying around. I think it should have been there in BLACK somewhere, I don't care whether it has anything to do with the plot, I would have looked good in it, but they never shot it.."

Keeping aside her humor she related, "I had a wonderful experience working with T-Bush and the filming of BLACK. It was something very different from stage, I just liked to be there on the sets. 'BLACK' will surely be a crowning glory for our mother tongue Konkani, our tiny Goa and all the regional language films. The fact that this movie is made entirely in Kuwait makes it even more exceptional. The movie will definitely go a long way and people of all languages will look upon the rich language with recognition and regard. A unique storyline with a backdrop of beautiful Goa, scenes of Kuwait , and originality of the language used in the dialogues are obviously the main aspects that will contribute to the high quality of the movie."

Talking about her hobbies, Querobina said, "I love music. I'm an actress, but as far as my appreciation for music goes, it is incredible. What I'am listening to doesn't depend on my mood. I kind of let the music speak for me sometimes. Kuwait 's FM is my favorite music station, the music puts me to sleep and wakes me up..."

On her favorite actors and direction, Querobina said, "Frankly, I have no favorites. Whoever has done well at a given point of time in a show and has enjoyed doing that piece of work has impressed me. Invariably I have found that no actor or director can be an absolute perfectionist. Actors who have been exceptional in one role have looked quite ordinary in another. So I cannot think of any name or names I can count as my favorites. As for the directors, I rate Roseferns as the top director I have worked under."

Newer Post Older Post Home