Rowla Lewis: Amazing 'discovery' of BLACK


By Gasper Crasto

Kuwait July 22: It's clear that a lot of the film's epitome rests on the presence of its female stars. The screen presence of Rowla Lewis, one of the Mangalorean artistes to feature in 'BLACK Nhesop Atanchem Fashion' - the Konkani E-Cinema set for release on August 10, 2007 at Masrah, Hawalli Auditorium, will definitely leave the audience awestruck.

The young, angelic face is one stars of the movie having some catchy scenes including a dance sequence. She is one of the most amazing 'discovery' of the film along with many other non-professionals artistes.

Coming from a family with original roots in Udupi - Mangalore, Rowla was born in Kuwait, studied at Kuwait's Carmel School and later graduated from Manipal College of Management, Mangalore. She is currently working for Carrier Kuwait Air-conditioning Est.

About her role in the movie, Rowla says, "I always liked the idea of acting out characters from books that I'd read…It's one of those things where you read books and think, 'I'd love to play this part.' And you actually get to do it. That's pretty surreal for me. To tell about my role would kill the surprise. Watch BLACK to find out...Shhhh... Nothing to tell! Forget my role, watch the movie, it should keep everyone riveted to their seats!"

Talking about the shooting of BLACK, the actress says, "Initially, it was intimidating to be a part of the movie with established actresses such as Gracy Morais, Querobina and others. I was so nervous on the first day of my shoot!.. But then everyone was so nice, and immediately they made me feel really comfortable which allowed me to be myself."

Rowla further adds, "There were some really funny moments on the sets which I cherish. I recall we had to shoot a sad scene which had to be done at least 8 times because none of the cast was serious – someone or the other would crack out a smile or would be seen controlling hard to hold a laugh which made everyone else to burst out laughing! The main cast involved in this scene were so agitated by this that some of them had quirky faces by the time the final 'take' was done. T-Bush kept telling us to be serious and NOT to laugh, but..... even he could not stop laughing even when others were dead serious.."

Born and brought up in Kuwait, and used to speaking English in all spheres of life, Rowla has delivered her dialogues in a fluent Konkani dialect. "Although I did little rehearsals on the sets, I was able to deliver my dialogues with perfect ease. I wish to be a role model to the new generation in speaking our language which ultimately identifies us to our culture and native place of origin."

Speaking about the director of BLACK, Rowla says, "T-Bush is unique as a person - calm, steady and focused -- a strong magnetic personality and awfully nice to deal with - constantly encouraging the cast members especially during trying times of the shoot. To keep control of 20 to 25 artistes at one time and draw the best out of them is in itself a great achievement for a director."

On her message to the Konkani speaking masses around the world, the little actress says, "All Konkani speaking people should patronize the movie wherever it is screened. This way, young filmmakers like T-Bush will get more encouragement to explore further into their creativity...Anyway, I am sure people who watch this movie would demand T-Bush make another Konkani film immediately!"

On her personal expectations from BLACK, Rowla says, "I have not taken this opportunity to appear in the film as a path to 'fame'. I would love to continue acting in future for the sole purpose of promoting our language and amusing others!"

Her ultimate fantasy, however, is not so eclectic. "It would be like a dream if I got to act in Hindi films," she exclaims. And that, along with the continuing break to act in good roles, just may boost this young girl to legend status.
FACT FILE: ROWLA LEWIS

Birth Date: March 30
Place of birth: Kuwait
Debut Acting: "Black "
Favorite movie: "Perfect Stranger" , "Gotika"
Favorite actress: Halle Berry
Favorite Actor: Will Smith
Favorite Director: Only T-Bush
Favorite hobby: I am a voracious reader!
Favorite website: www.esnips.com
Favorite book: The Prophet
Favorite author: Khalil Gibran

Newer Post Older Post Home