Joseph Rodrigues - a new star on the Horizon

By Gasper Crasto, Kuwait

Kuwait Aug 8, 2007: "The golden rule about acting as far as I am concerned is to keep your expectations very, very low. Today's audiences are intelligent, they know the difference between good and dud acting. My performance in BLACK will speak for me," says Joseph Rodrigues – one of the Goan actors to feature in 'BLACK Nhesop Atanchem Fashion' scheduled for launch in Kuwait on August 10, 2007 at Al-Masrah, Hawalli Auditorium.

He may not be the most famous out there, but he has one major component that many actors don't have... Joseph can act.

Born in 1971 and baptized Joseph Peter Anthony Francisco Rodrigues, the budding star of Konkani stage gives credit to his parents Angelo Rodrigues and late Prisca Rodrigues for inculcating the art of acting and singing into his heart at a very young age.

Inspiration and Encouragement

"My mother was a great fan of Goa's star actor-director Roseferns, she took me to watch his dramas. I also grew up watching G.R. Crasto, one of the famous personalities now based in Bahrain, stage his award winning dramas like 'Fulam ani Kantte', 'Harijan', 'Kalina' at St. Joseph's annual feast days that inspired me as a child,"

"Fr. Emidio Braganza, chaplain at St. Joseph's Chapel, Navelim was the first to spot and induct me into singing for the choir and teach solfegio. Later, Fr. Angelo Bonamis pushed me to take part in cultural programs and encouraged me to take part in Manddo Festivals. Around 1988-89, I wrote and directed my first drama entitled 'Beddi' (Handcuffs) on the occasion of St. Joseph's feast. Soon after that, I acted in numerous 'Khell' shows in Salcete. Incidentally, I came in touch with Peter de Benaulim who gave me a chance to act in his plays. I have also rendered my voice at 'Akasvanni Panjim' in Peter de Benaulim's folk plays."

Interesting Facts

Talking further on his early acting days, Joseph revealed some interesting facts. "My early days of acting were like legendary Goan actor Souza-Ferrao. Because of my noble ancestral background, my family never wanted me to act in dramas –not at all in 'zomnivele khell' or street plays. Because of this I had to put one condition to my directors that I would act anywhere in Goa but not in my own village – Navelim. Also, because of the family fear, I opted for roles of aged persons like a father/husband/uncle where I could hide my identity wearing a beard or a wig."

Joseph studied at Perpetual Succor Convent, and later at Rosary College, Navelim. During his college days, he represented Goa in Hockey at the Lucknow Nationals. He also represented the state at Junior National Athletics (110m hurdles) at Bangalore.

"Although I was interested in sports, I found myself looking for an opportunity to act on stage. I used to run far and wide for a chance. My acting in Jenfa Productions one-act play 'Favo Zalear Dhi' was well appreciated which heightened my passion to take up further challenges. Soon came Peter de Benaulim's 'Ghulam' and 'Soiro' where I got to brush shoulders with Konkani stage stalwarts such as C.D. Silva, Betty Alvares, etc. I'd got an offer from Roseferns to act in his 'Xinxe' drama too. Rosario Rodrigues also offered and discussed a role with me at Longuinhos Restaurant – the famous hang-out of the legend. But I told both the directors that my 12th exams were approaching and perhaps I would take up acting only after the results. I remember great Rosario Rodrigues' golden words, 'Acting is half shame, half glory but education is a pleasant place to spend one's life and leisure. Actors never get old, you will have all the time to act later in life; pursue your education first.' Just after my results though, I found my fate drifting me towards the oceanic heights. I embarked on a voyage to work with Mediterranean Greek Cruises where I worked for 3 years."

"After I came back, I never went back on the ship. My heart was still into acting and 'dialogues'. Philip Almeida's drama 'Tunch Mhozo Dev' gave me another step to prove myself. Then I wrote and staged two of my own dramas 'Tujem Tuka' and 'Tuji Khoxi' in which our 'village star' Comedian Agustine was the only professional artiste. Side by side to my acting, I also ran a restaurant 'shack' at Colva. In C'D' Silva's drama I came across stars like Sabina, Greg, M. Boyer, etc."

As an actor in Kuwait

Before coming to Kuwait in 1997, Joseph took a long break from acting due to personal reasons. But even then he never missed watching dramas.

"In Kuwait, Navelim Youth Centre gave me the first break in 2000 in Goa based director Tony Dias' superhit 'Thi Mhoji Maim'. Since then I have acted in several one-act plays such as Ignatius de Xelvon's 'Ek Zadd Voddachem' and 'Suriak Laglam Girann'; and Joe Fereira's 'Kochro', 'Patang', 'Amcho Dispott'tto Amkam Dhi', 'Lokak Zai Zalear' and 'Bharat' where I had opportunity to act alongside the great Nana Patekar of Konkani stage – Donald Colaco. My performance was notable in Patrick Dourado's 'Tujem Rogot' in 2003, Mario de Majorda's 'Chuklelim Pavlam' in 2005, Donald Colaco's 'Pallam' in a challenging role opposite Jose Rod, and 'Challis Dis Challis Rati' of Simon Gonsalves which is one of my best performance to-date. I also acted in 'Suria' - a home video of Peter de Benaulim and Inacio de Canacona's non-stop drama, 'Hi Porza'. Being a member of Kuwait-Goa Tiatristhanchi Sonvstha (KGTS), I have participated and acted in their annual shows for the last 5 years. "

Apart from acting, Joseph is fluent in singing. "Singing is in our family blood. My grandfather Napoleano Rodrigues was a famous singer of Navelim during his time," says Joseph, proudly.

Stage Name

Asked why he never thought of acquiring a catchy stage name like Joseph de Navelim or some short form, Joseph said, "Some actors want to be first with 'de' of their birthplaces while some want to relate their birthplace merely because the place which they come from is well-known. I feel it is using the village to promote oneself. I just want to be identified by the name which my parents gave me – my baptism name...I appreciate 'Remo Fernandes de Indias' in this regard."

Talking about BLACK, Joseph says, "I guess, it is due to my continued dedication in acting that I got this opportunity. It is nice to be a part of the cast that includes Goan icons such as Comedian Queen Querobina, Comedian Philip, Gracy Morais, and Sylvester Vaz.

Difference between sub-standard videos and BLACK

On his opinion about home videos and full length feature films, Joseph says, "Based on my assumption on the techniques and filming done by T-Bush, I can say that the standard and quality of BLACK is going to be better than any of the home videos that are produced. No doubt, the home videos give us entertainment but they are slowly decaying the Goan image and destroying our art. Anybody with some money thinks he is a writer-director. It looks that these videos are done more for personal satisfaction than to entertain the public. There are hardly any videos that can be rated as having some standard."

On Actors and acting

On Actors and acting, Joseph says, "There are many established actors who only boast about their past glory. Some actors are very encouraging but most indulge in demoralizing the youngsters. We need people who motivate youngsters. I must mention that the organizers of one-act play competitions in Kuwait – the great United Club of Utorda have set a platform for many a budding actor. I salute them. They should hold one-act play competitions in Goa too. There are numerous upcoming actors who want to step up on stage but there are few to promote 'unknowns'. Most directors look for established names to pull the audience, few directors want to take a risk. I regard T-Bush for giving chance to amateur actors – people who have never even seen steps of a stage or acted in their life. As for me, I am very passionate about any given role. I always find it tough rehearsing with others, but when I see the audience some magical trill makes me to give 110%. I find myself, whenever I do the part, having a difficult time getting out of character. Acting takes so much physically and emotionally that it takes me a while after I'm done to try to calm down again."

Greatness of T-Bush

Speaking about the director of BLACK, Joseph says, "The greatness of T-Bush lies is his patience. That places him way above others. It is a God's gift that we have a whiz-kid who is one in all – writer, director, producer, cinematographer, graphic designer and even a singer. If he maintains his standard, T-Bush can single handedly take our Goa and Konkani to greater heights. Most directors I have worked for, literally force us to act a scene as per their wants. But T-Bush gave us the dialogues and asked to enact in the best capacity of our talents. He only pointed out wherever we could improve. I feel it is the right thing. That is what makes an actor, an actor – a different identity of his own. We all can imitate other actors but it is the uniqueness of an individual that can distinguish us to be what we are. Definitely, we do not want to be copycats of others."

"I understand that T-Bush has put lot of money into the making of BLACK. Being an award winning director of a English film, T-Bush could very well make another English film with his budget. But he has gambled to bring forth something exceptional for the masses simply for the love of Konkani speaking people, our culture and the fading charm of our language. Recovering the money spent depends on people who will support the movie by way of watching it in theatres. The government too should have a scheme to support Konkani films made by Goans abroad. Goans spread across the world should also come forward to support this medium of art."
Dreams and Expectations

"My dream in life," says Joseph, "is to do a film on my personal life story. I have seen that lot many people go disarray after a setback in their lives. We should not be afraid of life. In life, I follow the favorite catch phrase of philosophical author Shammi Sukh: 'Masters are not ruled by circumstances, situations, other people or their fate. Masters are born to rule over their life."

"Over the years, different generations of our people have experienced different form of entertainment like zagors, khells, tiatros, non-stop shows and films. But BLACK is surely going to be a defining moment of Konkani art and it's standard," asserts Joseph.

Newer Post Older Post Home