A Tete-a-Tete with Cajetan Pereira

By Gasper Crasto, Kuwait

Kuwait July 27: Kala Academy Award winner for Best Actor and Konkani Bhasha Mandal's Best Singer Award winner Cajetan Pereira (popularly known as Cajetan de Sanvordem) will feature in 'BLACK Nhesop Atanchem Fashion' - the first Konkani E-Cinema to be made and released in Kuwait.

The film produced and directed by T-Bush is set for a grand premier on August 10, 2007 at Al Masrah, Hawally Auditorium.

Born to Jose Salvador and Maria Magdalena Pereira at Sanvordem-Goa, Cajetan first came into spotlight when he was just 8 years of age whilst singing in school and village dramas.

Besides acting and singing Cajetan is a public figure in social activities. Time and again, he has been elected to several Indian organizations. He is the President of United Friends Club – a football association and the Ex-President of Kuwait-Goa Tiatristanchi Sonstha (KGTS). He is also the President of Guardian Angel Club of Sanvordem (Kuwait), Head of Cultural Cell of Goan Welfare Society (GWS) since inception, and an active member of Kuwait Indian Football Federation (KIFF).

Apart from being a flamboyant actor, Cajetan is also a versatile compere. His voice, diction, flair and linguistic abilities, especially with his mother-tongue, Konkani makes his presence felt vibrantly at any cultural programs and social gatherings. He is also good in penning slogans in Konkani. Cajetan's cursive 'handwriting' skill should be seen to be believed and his sense of humor heard to understand the simplicity of life.

In a tete-a-tete with Gasper Crasto, the down-to-earth warrior spoke at length about the making of Black and his role in the film.

Excerpts:

You are seen in dramas more as a character actor. But BLACK will have you the lead role. How do you feel about it?

Cajie: I have always looked for an opportunity to play good roles. I do not believe in first or second lead concept. If a role is good I am a game and I've always given my best on stage. People still recall my brilliant acting as a 'main hero' in several dramas staged in Kuwait in the 70's, 80's and 90's and my composing and singing abilities are still very refined. When I am approached for a role I only pay attention to the factors of the director and my role. I do not worry about my co-stars and or thank that they have more important roles than me. I firmly believe that my acting will speak for me.

What did you feel when T-Bush approached you with the role?

Cajie: Delighted. I've already appeared on the smaller screen in a specially filmed VCD of Jose Rod's drama Devan Dilem Devcharan Velem. I'd seen T-Bush's short film 'The Letter' and when I was approached by this young director I was thrilled. Actually, T-Bush had signed me for his earlier feature film, 'All the Best' to do a comedy role.

How do you rate yourself as an actor?

Cajie: I can safely say I am a decent actor. I have never had any misconceptions about my acting abilities. I have always known my limitations so anyone dubbing me, as 'average actor' never offended me.

How did you get your stage name as Cajetan de Sanvordem?

Cajie: I first sang in Santan Fernandes' drama staged at St. Sebastian feast at Khamamoll-Vaddo, Sanvordem. Whenever I acted in other towns, I was given the stage name 'Cajetan de Sanvordem' and soon I adopted the same. In my teens I acted and sang in various dramas in Goa. My hit duo partner was Cyril de Benaulim. Later I joined a non-stop show group of Jess Fernandes and then followed Rosario Dias and R. Moraies troupes. On the professional Konkani tiatr (drama) stage circuit, I was given a break by my 'ganv-bhav' and legendary Konkani director late Shri Remmie Colaco in his drama 'Bhavponacho Kaido'. I will always cherish this great gesture of Remmie Colaco. I have also staged two dramas 'Bhattkarachem Kortub' and 'Africar' in my home town back home.

Q. How long have you been acting in Kuwait?

Cajie: I landed in Kuwait on 31/1/1976. My first appearance on Kuwait's stage was in P. Jose de Colva's drama 'Aiz Maka Faleam Tuka' in Keefan Hall in 1977, followed by Konkani dramas directed by Jenifer Rod, Aleixinho de Maxem, Benny de Aldona, and the list goes on. Initially I used to sing solos in each and every drama as well as act, specially when the role was based on expatriate topics. Together with Marcus Vaz and Xavier Gomes, we formed the famous trio Cajetan-Marcus-Xavier, which created waves and enjoyed tremendous popularity in Kuwait as well as other Gulf Countries and in Goa. Our best comedy trio was 'Sexy Singers'. I recall several people from the audience getting back stage and congratulating us after several encores (repeat performances) for that particular song. We also staged a successful Tiatr entitled 'Xim vo Ximiter' in Kuwait. After Xavier Gomes returned back to Goa for good, the void was filled by Mario de Majorda, then onwards the trio is known as Cajetan-Marcus-Mario.

How many dramas have you acted in till date?

Cajie: I have acted in countless Konkani dramas (Tiatrs). The prominent among them are of Late Fr. Freddy J. Da Costa, M. Boyer, Remmie Colaco, Anthony San, H.Britton, Jose Rod, Roseferns, Jess Fernandes, Patrick Dourado, Vitorino Pereira, A. Morais, R. Morais, Rosario Dias, Chrismeena, Rosary Ferns, Marcus Vaz, Laurente Pereira, Mario de Majorda, Michael D'Silva, Xavier Gomes, Bonaventure D'Pietro, Jessy Dias, Jenifer Rod, Aleixinho de Maxem, Benny de Aldona, J.P. Parra, Tony Call, Mendes Bros., F.X.Pereira, F.Cardoz, Simon Gonsalves, Joe Ferrera, etc.

My youngest son Clifford Pereira has followed in my footsteps. Clifford sings and plays the drums at his Don Bosco School Kuwait, as well as on Konkani stage.

What kind of roles appeal to you?

Cajie: I am very comfortable with comedy and I like being in comedy roles. But then serious roles too have their set of challenges that I love. A balance of both is important. In my younger days I did comedy roles. As I grew up I became a 'hero' and last few years I have been doing character roles. I was honored in Kuwait by the Ferns Brothers Production during their show 'Chuklelim Panvlam' directed by Mario de Majorda in June 2005. In this drama, I acted as a paralytic 'Grand-Pa'. My natural, faultless acting on a wheel-chair in that show which I performed without uttering a single word will not be erased from the minds of the audience. This remains one of my most memorable roles.

How do you usually go about your role?

Cajie: If you are talking of homework, I didn't have to do any in BLACK. I was just a wooden puppet who followed every instructions of T-Bush. It has been so in my entire career as an actor, I follow the director's instructions. BLACK demanded even more reliability on direction because films are a director's medium.

Could you tell me about the character you play in BLACK?

Cajie: I play a musician who is passionate about music. There is a scene when I practice on a trumpet with my wife watching me. The sequence is juxtaposed with a series of comedy scenes that includes me and Comedian Phillip.

What is the groundwork that you did for BLACK to match the character?

Cajie: I have a background of learning solfegio in my younger days. That has helped my character in BLACK. I did a lot of spadework as well watching and studying musicians specially the artistic techniques of a trumpeter to befit my character.

What aspects of the story were you strongly drawn towards?

Cajie: The movie is a good mix of suspense, caution and provocation. It is a story around the challenges or situations once faces, the courage one needs to demonstrate during those situations and the choices that one has to make when in those situations.

What about your co-stars? Who were the most supporting ones and fun to work with?

Cajie: Philip is crazy and so is Querobina .. The thing that will make BLACK a stand out success is the underlying thread of irony and humour that runs through the entire play. The characters' ability to look at and laugh at themselves is something which is contemporary and wisely employed by T-Bush. In fact, humor is the filter through which life is sieved in this movie. It imparts a poignant bittersweet quality to the play, never letting it slip into trite sentimentalities. T-Bush deserves to be praised for his controlled handling of situations. He has created some highly charged and some very touching moments with us all of us that mainly include Comedian Philip, Querobina and Gracy Morais. Also, there is a certain freshness, simplicity, originality and informality of dialect in the language used. All the co-stars were supportive and fun to work with that even if Querobina or Phillip were not involved in the shoot they used to be on the sets to jazz up the others.

You have been around so many years and a prominent artiste in Kuwait. Has your past efforts on stage paid off for BLACK?

Cajie: I have been around so many years because people have accepted me as an actor. The fact that I have acted with different directors and that I am appreciated for my performances speak volumes about my success as an actor. Yes, my past efforts have paid off.

Now you are actor both on stage and in movie. What difference did you find between these two mediums?

Cajie: (smiles) Both have their pros and cons, but it would be unfair to compare. Stage acting has to be perfect in that it has no 're-takes' once the dialogues are spoken. But unlike dramas, a lot of efforts are put in by the director of a movie.

According to me, any director has two choices before him either on stage or on screen - to either go for a tried and tested formula – 'you feel a kind of safety in it' - or try to be different. But there are dangers inherent in both choices. Forget whether it's the same, forget whether it's different. You have to be really charged by the idea. Ofcourse film making is different. And shooting a movie in Kuwait means you have to make a film that has to be different within the parameters.

BLACK is going to be a delight for the audience – an experience for any community, any nationality to come and watch – not just as an entertainment but to see how the movie is actually devised. In a working country like Kuwait where there are few professional Indian actors available, T-Bush has gathered a crew to make a film of international recognition. During the stages of shooting, by and large, it was always the case of someone missing or some actor either out of town or on vacation. If T-Bush had to 'wrap' up the shoot for non-availability of artistes on the sets, the movie would never be complete.

Then, how was the director able to complete the shoot?

Cajie: That's the area of expertise and hallmark of T-Bush who is equipped with the latest know-how in the trade.

Why were you so silent about the film all this time? You are one of the lead actors of the movie and no one really knew about it.

Cajie: I have always kept a low profile. I did not talk about the film before because all of us couldn't. In fact the whole unit was requested not to talk about their roles because T-Bush didn't want any conflicting views till such time as the film was set for release. And even though all of us were just dying to tell everyone how wonderful we felt shooting for BLACK, we had to contain ourselves till the release date was announced.

What are your expectations of BLACK for the fans?

Cajie: When an International Award winning director decides to make a movie with the highest standard, you expect nothing short of a thunderbolt. BLACK will make for some compelling viewing; you just can't afford to miss this film that's guaranteed to leave you breathless.

Has there been a time when you wished you were not an actor?

Cajie: Every actor is an ambitious creature, he wants as many different lives as possible. That is why he is an actor. And I am an actor to the core.

Looking at the current scenario, anybody can be an actor or director or a producer. But what gives you an edge over them is your ability to think beyond. An actor needs to be well informed, he needs to understand the ramifications of his action. After all, he is being watched. Believe me, I did all that and more.

Nothing came to me easily, I had to work hard to be where I am today. Even when there were turbulences in life, I took it in my stride and worked even harder – but I never left acting. In a working country where there is little time for extra activities, many people have left aside their talent in favor of life. I think I am a living proof that anybody can become an actor if he works hard enough for it.

On a parting note, what are the essential things required to be an actor?

Cajie: To be an actor you must act like one. So it is for any other profession. If you are a football player you need to know how to kick and run, if you are a singer you need to have certain mannerisms.

FACT FILE: CAJETAN PEREIRA

Birth Date: 5th April

Place of birth: Khamamoll Vaddo, Sanvordem, Goa

Debut Acting: In 'Bhavponnacho Kaido' by Remmie Colaco. I was the main hero and cast opposite legendary Goan Nightingale Antonette Mendes in this drama.

Most Memorable Role: In "Devan Dilem Devcharan Velem" directed by Jose Rod and in Mario De Majorda's "Chukhlelim Panvlam".

Favorite movie: The Great Escape

Favorite actress: Nargis Dutt

Favorite Actor: Anthony Quinn

Favorite hobby: Writing, Singing, Acting & Football

Favorite websites: www.goa-world.com & www.goanet.org

Favorite book: Kallea Vistidachi Choli

Favorite author: Bonaventure D'Pietro

Activities involved in Kuwait: Goan Welfare Society, United Friends Club, Guardian Angel Club & Kuwait-Goa Tiatristanchi Sonstha (KGTS).

Newer Post Older Post Home